Thursday, April 28, 2011

questions on final paper

Here are some questions on this final paper:

For starters it is on genetically modified organisms... super dry and sciency topic, but how would I make it not so dry and sciency?

There are many instances where I need to define vocabulary so I can use the big words that come with the topic... It is a very complicated subject, and I feel like there is no way around that.

My other question is about my thesis. All I really say is that people should be more educated about the food that we eat. It is a bit broad, so I was told to "rework" it... would a better thesis, for this particular assignment, be that I think people should know more about the food we eat AND on top of that, I think that companys like Monsanto (a chemical herbicide company) should be banned from the market because of all the horror stories about our food production?

4 comments:

  1. I feel you need to keep the definitions in the paper or else your reader would just lose interest. The definitions should also help with the length of your paper.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In the science world there will always be a lot of explanation of what the words you use actually mean. Also keep in mind that if you are writing a scientific based research paper, then your audience would most likely be up to speed on your area of interest or willing to look up the words.

    With that in mind, make YOUR explainations of the science words used into something fun, that you use to remember what the mean.

    I like this topic and have read several books and articles on GMO's because I am mostly vegan. If you have never read "Skinny Bastard" or SKinny Bitch", I would suggest you pick up a copy or look it up online and just read a few pages. They have a very nice and colorful way of explaining scientific terms.

    ReplyDelete
  3. sweet. thanks for the references.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Defining vocabulary is fine. Just make sure it is concise and in your own words (this will help it be less dry and easier for your readers to follow). That part might be more dry or bogged down with science lingo, but overall I think you can avoid having your paper seem that way. The argumentative aspect, paired with a strong voice and effective transitions from point to point, will help it flow and make it more appealing to your reader. Keep your audience in mind with your diction and voice (as Ray pointed out, books like Skinny Bitch include the scientific information but the presentation is what makes it entertaining and so interesting).

    As for your thesis, I think narrowing it down and making sure it's argumentative (as opposed to simply the need to educate about eating better) would be a good move. Maybe focus on why exactly education is the key, and from there you can discuss GMOs and Monsanto.

    ReplyDelete